The history of "De Hal" goes back to the 17th century
De Hal farm campsite has been owned by the Keijser family for nine generations. De Hal was once a small Texel hamlet. The farmhouse that was later built on this site dates from 1753 and is a national monument. Today, the bell jar is inhabited and the farm campsite is run by Jan-Jacob and Patricia Keijser.
In 1637 De Hal was a hamlet with 24 hearth towns. The first known inhabitants are Pieter Barentsz and his wife Martje Cornelis, who married in 1680. At the end of the 18th century, Sijbrand Pietersz. Keijser (1767-1835) owner of "De Hal". Since then the farm has remained in the family. Keijser had 8.5 hectares of land on the site and also owned farms in De Waal, on the Schilderweg, the Waalderstraat and in De Westen. He himself lived in the Weverstraat in Den Burg.
In 1894 the new bell jar (also national monument) was built and the unmarried Jan Sijbrandsz. Keijser (1865-1905) went to live there. In 1920 Jacob bought "Hoogeberg" (Hallerweg 51) where he had a new house built for his son Sijbrand.
"De Hal" itself became a home for permanent employees. In 1965 Sijbrand Keijser and his Neeltje Eelman moved from "Hoogeberg" to "De Hal" and moved into their son Jacob and his wife Margaretha Dros "Hoogeberg".
In 1982 Jacob and Marga moved to "De Hal". They sold the farm to Jan-Jacob (1975-) and Patricia Knol, rebuilt the adjacent bell jar into a house where they still live.
Jan-Jacob and Patricia further expanded the farm into a mixed business and run the camping and guest house. They have two daughters: Marieke and Rianne.
Sijbrand (1966) and Albert (1967) are Jan-Jacob's older brothers. Sijbrand is married to Reinalda Slagter, lives in Alkmaar and has three children: Koen, Anne and Imme. Albert is married to Pacho Alberto and lives in Amsterdam.
Based on: Farm book: history and naming of all farms on Texel, their owners and residents (C.J. Reij, C. Hoogerheide and C.J.G. van Empel, November 1998)
Sheep farming and arable farming with us at "De Hal"
"De Hal" is a real Texel farm that, together with the adjoining bell jar, is on the national monument list. The farm has been owned by the Keijser family for nine generations. Jan-Jacob and Patricia live with their two daughters in the old farm. Jacob and Marga live in the neighboring bell jar, which was converted into a house at the beginning of this century.
But "De Hal" is more than just a campsite. We are also still a functioning farming business. All year round seed potatoes, onions and sugar beets are grown. Usually there are sheep grazing around the campsite. After all, Texel is the Dutch sheep island par excellence. Sheep breeding also plays an important role in a mixed farm such as "De Hal". That is why new lambs are born every spring at the farm campsite. So there is plenty to do and see for the whole family.
Texel is the sheep island of the Netherlands. Sheep farming is therefore an important part of our business operations. In March it is lambing time and then it is very busy in our fields and barns. We cordially invite you to stay with us in the spring. In addition, there is also a lot of arable farming. In addition to potatoes, we also grow cereals, sugar beets, onions and grass seed. It is buzzing with activity all year round!
Take a look at the website of the Texel association for agricultural nature and landscape management De Lieuw and discover how agriculture and nature go hand in hand on Texel.