Photograpfy: Richard Heerschap
Photography Andrea Rietbergen
The Hal's origins
The Hal's origins date back to the 17th century!
In 1637 De Hal was a hamlet with only 24 dwellings The first-known residents are Pieter Barentsz and his wife Martje Cornelis who married in 1680. Sijbrand Pietersz. Keijser (1767-1835) became owner of "De Hal" at the end of the 18th century. Since then, the farm has always remained in the family. Keijser had 8.5 hectares of land at the site and also owned farms in De Waal, at the Schilderweg, the Waalderstraat and in De Westen. He himself lived in the Weverstraat in Den Burg.
In 1894 the new pyramid shaped jar (called "stolpboerderij" in Dutch and also a national monument) was built and the unmarried Jan Sijbrandsz. Keijser (1865-1905) went to live there. In 1920 Jacob bought "Hoogeberg" (Hallerweg 51) where he had a new house built for his son Sijbrand.
"De Hal" itself became home for permanent staff, such as: Job van der Vliet and his wife Annetje Blom, Jacob Witte and his wife Lena Kees. In 1965 Sijbrand Keijser and his Neeltje Eelman moved from "Hoogeberg" to "De Hal" and involved their son Jacob and his wife Margaretha Dros "Hoogeberg".
In 1982 Jacob and Marga moved to "De Hal". They sold the farm to Jan-Jacob (1975-) and Patricia Knol, rebuilt the adjacent bell-jar to the house where they still live. Jan-Jacob and Patricia expanded the farm into a mixed company and together with Marga they run the camping and the guest house.
They have two daughters: Marieke and Rianne.In 1982 Jacob and Marga moved to "De Hal". They sold the farm to Jan-Jacob (1975-) and Patricia Knol, rebuilt the adjacent bell-jar to the house where they still live.
Jan-Jacob and Patricia expanded the farm into a mixed company and together with Marga they run the camping and the guest house. They have two daughters: Marieke and Rianne.
Sijbrand (1966) and Albert (1967) are the older brothers of Jan-Jacob. Sijbrand is married to Reinalda Slagter, lives in Alkmaar and has three children: Koen, Anne and Imme. Albert is married to Pacho Alberto and lives in Amsterdam.
Free to: Farm book: history and naming of all farms on Texel their owners and residents (C.J. Reij, C. Hoogerheide and C.J.G. van Empel, November 1998)
Sheepfarming & agriculture
"De Hal" is a traditional texel farmhouse, dating back from the 17th century. Together with the nearby situated, pyramid shaped, Gulf house it has been listed as a national monument.
Together with their two daughters, Jan-Jacob en Patricia live in the old farmhouse. Jacob en Marga Keijser came to live in the gulf house which in the old days was in use as a sheep barn.
Texel is the island of sheep, the island has produced its own breed: The Texel sheep. Sheep breeding is an important part of our farm's business. In march and april (the lamb season) literally hundreds of lambs frolic in the meadows around the house.
Our farm also produces high quality potatoes, corn, sugar beets, onions and grass seeds. Lots of activity around the year!